Thursday, October 2, 2014


I started looking for ways in which Flickr could be tied into the educational field and found at http://www.colourmylearning.com/2013/03/flickr-for-education-18-ways-to-use-flickr-in-schools/. This site basically is a site that tells what Flickr really is about and the things that people tend to do on it. And then it explores some ideas of how it can be used for educational purposes. 
For example some of the ideas were:

Proof of Work – upload images of artwork, work pieces from product design, science experiment outcomes, etc

Presentation – provide students with suitable images for their presentation or project

Image Portfolios – encourage students to create their own image portfolios

Raise Awareness – using images to raise current issues such as global warming, pollution, extinction

Research Projects – use images from Flickr to include as part of student’s research assignment and projects

Lesson Resource – using the slideshow option on Flickr, present your topic in an interesting and engaging way with suitable images

Explore the world – use Flickr Map to explore images from different parts of the world

ETC..

The website includes 18 different ways Flickr could be used. Some of these ideas can go hand in hand with certain classes that students are taken. I know for me when I was in my undergrad for presentations I had to use pictures and Flickr was very helpful for me because the quality of the photo's were great. Or the idea of just exploring the world in general is a great one or you could even use it in understanding other countries for history. These were just some of the ideas from the site and I feel like there are a lot more ideas out there. Flickr could be a great resource if you put it to the right use.   

2 comments:

  1. I went to the website and found it very interesting. I think that Flickr could be used in my writing class. I envision having students caption different images and possibly doing a postcard writing activity or a descriptive writing project. Thanks for the post and for the link to the website!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think flickr might be more educational than some of the other social media websites. I didn't know it could be used for those reasons. Like you I think it would have been very helpful in my undergrad as well since I had to do many presentations. I feel flickr isn't as popular as let's say Facebook or Instagram though so more people don't know they can do those things.

    ReplyDelete