Thursday, October 9, 2014

More Surprising Ways to Use Instagram



After realizing that there are some ideas out in the world for the use of Instagram I figured that I would try and find some more in which it could be used in the classroom. I found this website (http://www.weareteachers.com/blogs/post/2014/08/07/10-ways-to-use-instagram-in-the-classroom) which had even more ways in which a person could incorporate Instagram into their curricular activities. Some of the ideas were.

1. Feature a student of the week.
Invite students to alternate "taking over" your classroom Instagram account and sharing photos from their daily lives

2. Capture field trip memories.

Invite a student volunteer "archivist" to take photos on your field trips or during class parties and share them on your Instagram account.

3. Share reading recommendations.

Invite students to snap photos of their favorite books and then browse the photos in your feed for more ideas on what to read.

4. Go on an ABC scavenger hunt.

Challenge kids to find print in the world around them—on signs, packaging and in the mail.

5. Document student progress.

Snap photos of student's writing at the beginning and end of the year.

Ideas like feature a student of the week and go on an ABC scavenger hunt are the types of things that would make a kid want to use an app like Instagram in their everyday life for school. Also with these type of ideas it will be way easier for teachers to get the students attention overall. People think Instagram is just a app where people just go on to waste time when they are bored but it also has alot of upside to it. 



6 comments:

  1. Thank you Rakeem for sharing these ideas. I find it amazing how educator involve social media more and more in their classroom. I think that technology is the language of new generation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really interesting how educators are finding these little ideas to involve technology.

      Delete
  2. Hi Rakeem,
    I agree with Sammya, thank you for posting all of the ideas with the use of Instagram! I liked the idea of having the “student of the week.” To me this can be seen as a “show and tell” type of assignment that each student has the chance to complete. It also allows the student to explain any traditions that he or she and his or her family do at night on weekends or over the holidays, depending on the time of year. This could be a great way for students to learn more about one another’s culture and traditions I also really enjoyed the “share reading recommendation” activity. I think this activity could be used as a way for students to share reviews along with favorite parts of books that they read; and then use other’s descriptions, pictures and reviews to discover new books that might interest them to read next. I completely agree that once you learn about all of the capabilities that this program has to offer, it does attempt to help remove the stigma that the application was designed to help pass the time and unrelated to education. Thank you again for posting,
    Alex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No thank you, for elaborating on the use more in depth I didn't think about it like that.

      Delete
  3. Rakeem,
    I think these are all great ideas for using Instagram in the classroom. I am very interested in the 'Student of the Week' and I wonder how many of the students in my class would have access to a device that they could use to do this. I also think that using it to document field trips would be a lot of fun. I can also imagine using it to document learning that has taken place each week. You could create a 'collage' of learning that could recap the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Student of the Week" was a big one that stood out to me as well. I think kids would love it.

      Delete